Thursday, May 28, 2015

ocean reads

So today's the day and here I am waiting at the library for my sister to get off work and then we're headed south towards the ocean. As I'm waiting I thought I'd share some of the books I'm lugging along for the way. Also sharing their first sentences as a sneak peek of what's to come. Excitement ^-^ Here we go..


The Help • "Mae Mobley was born on a early Sunday morning in August, 1960. A church baby we like to call it." 
I can't even tell you how many rave reviews I've heard of this book. For a while I wasn't allowed to read it but already had a copy patiently awaiting it's turn on my shelves. It was painful but now it's time has finally come, to be opened and read and felt and filled with memories of tears and laughter and all my heart achings. I can't wait.


The Sun Also Rises • "You are all a lost generation." - Gertrude Stein
"One generation passeth away and another generation cometh; but the earth abide the forever... The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and haste the to the place where he arose... The wind goeth toward the south, and turneth about unto the north; it whirleth about continually, and the wind returneth again according to his circuits.... All the rivers run into the sea; yet the sea is not full; unto the place from whence the rivers come, thither they return again." - Ecclesiastes 
And finally the first words of Hemingway himself, "Robert Cohn was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton." 
Those first two quotes are actually on the page before Chapter 1 but Hemingway chose them for a reason so I felt the need to list them. This is an interesting choice for me. I mostly chose it because I've been wanting for some of his writing recently. Absolutely no idea what it's about but I love the title. So I'll let you know how it goes ^-^


The Grapes of Wrath • "To the red country and part of the gray country of Olkahoma, the last rains came gently, and they did not cut the scarred earth."
As some of you may know from my recent "summer to do list" post, I've just started this one rather recently. I'm only four chapters in in fact. It's pretty slow moving [slow moving as in there was an entire chapter dedicated to the efforts of a turtle trying to cross the road], but I'm intrigued. I want to know more about who this character is [not the turtle] and what his heart is made of. My interest was piqued when my lit teacher [see previous post] mentioned it and my sister started it and loved it. I also read The Pearl by Steinbeck a year or two ago and was floored by his writing style. We'll see how it goes anyway.
Well guys. I actually feel kind of close to crying because I typed out this whole post and it took me almost an hour and then I tried to define a word and it left the app and literally deleted the entire thing. After I had written it all out. On my iPod. *groans* I feel like I have a headache from being in this thing for so long. So this post is very hard won. I realize the the formatting and font may be slightly off as well since I'm not able to adjust it on my iPod but I'll be sure to fix it when I come home Saturday. Hope you guys enjoy it though and happy almost weekend to all of you ^-^

0 comments:

Post a Comment