Sunday, March 21, 2021

black and white

How do I paint the sky for you 
In words of black and white

How do I describe my dad to you
Or the way the trees play with the light

I trace your hands along my scar
But you don’t know how it feels

You don’t feel the leather seats in my car
Or my burnt skin after the sun when it peels

Do you hear the supper bell clang
Do you know the woods where we roam 

Do you remember how the crickets sang
Or the sound of the gravel coming home

I try to do my best to paint
These pictures in black and white

You smile and nod but it ain’t
The same–it’s all just black and white


3 comments:

  1. crying over how beautifully you write :'')

    ReplyDelete
  2. you capture childhood + nostalgia + growing up in the south better than anyone I've ever known and I adore you :')

    ReplyDelete