Friday, December 4, 2020

only tonight

I catch my breath 
As the air pours through the windows


And it hits me out of the nowhere

How many more times in my life will I get this view on a night like this


When the fields smell of fresh grass and damp earth and old hay
And the crickets are singing
To the darkness or the moon or each other


How many more drives home 
When home is a simple word 
When home is a place with people you love 
And it is home


It hits me like a bag of cement to the gut
You’re going to miss this


Everything is changing
And it happens so fast
And we wish it away
For the next the better the best


But it never comes 
Because there is only today 

And today is all we get

Only tonight-
The thin clouds
The lone star
The invisible brightness
Headlights on the road
One hour down
On the way home
On the threshold of summer


Because all of a sudden two years from now is a week from Tuesday 
And nothing's ever going to be the same


So let me breathe in the air
And let tonight be tonight
Let me drive the roads of monotony
And let it settle in my bones
Let me feel it while it’s here
Let me ache let me cry let me bang my head against the steering wheel turn the music up run my hands through my hair and be still 


Let me know that I am alive
And these are the days
These are my days
God-- don’t let them slip away


17 comments:

  1. My soul needed this reminder tonight. Thank you for sharing your heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. The feelings this invokes. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you age today is all you think about, because you see the future slipping away. Because our days are numbered, and we are counting down. So, enjoy today. Grab it with both hands, take a chance, cry at a commercial, laugh loudly and dance in the rain. Because... it's today.
    Good intuition, Sunshine!!❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you age today is all you think about, because you see the future slipping away. Because our days are numbered, and we are counting down. So, enjoy today. Grab it with both hands, take a chance, cry at a commercial, laugh loudly and dance in the rain. Because... it's today.
    Good intuition, Sunshine!!❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and amen, Mawmaw :) Thank you for reading and commenting! Love you bunches!!!

      Delete
  5. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    LIV!!!

    this is one of my favorite things you've ever written. (and pretty much everything you write makes me cry SO THERE'S THAT LOL)

    this hurts in the best way. i literally do not have words but YOU ARE AMAZING AND I LOVE YOU AND I WANT TO TATTOO YOUR WORDS ON MY SOUL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      I'M EMOTIONAL. thank you thank you thank you wowowow. maybe one day I will offer those services. ;) I love you so much thank you so muchalsfdsahhhh!! <3

      Delete
  6. So so beautiful. Like all your writing ♡ Thank you for a super important reminder. This beauty will be copied and pasted and rewritten!!!♡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jeanette!!! Actually, if you wanna buy a handwritten copy, you can message me on instagram ;) I started selling them yesterday!! hahaha

      Delete
  7. i adore this. this concept runs through my mind all the time

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautifully written, Olivia! I can truly tell you write from the heart. Thanks for the feelings you capture through your words <3
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT MEANS SO MUCH Thank you so much for reading and commenting :'))))))

      Delete
  9. its like u saw my heart and threw the feels i was having up on a billboard. yikessss. xxxxx so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i'm crying i love you and it made my day to see u commented on here lol :')

      Delete