Tuesday, June 11, 2024

keep my garden full




Keep my garden full

And of course I am waiting
For a letter from you to come
Whisking into my mailbox

Your ringtone sounding ridiculous
At the dinner party
You are not at

A voice memo to keep me
Company on the highway
At night surrounded by
Strangers surrounded by
The missing of someone else

Of course I think about 
The tree house

Of course I dream
Of our feet tucked in
The couch, holding
Our tea cups as they 
Cool, listening as
The other cries

Of course I remember
When you stepped in the thorns
The sound of your voice
Reading from your notebook
The taste of the blackberries
Rolled in white sugar
Staining our fingers with laughter
With no guilt

Keira Knightley crosses the
Screen in a corset and
Of course I am thinking of
The pita bread we ate while
The candles burned down 
And the movie played out

I see a mare in the field
And think of you when
She tosses her head

Our wet hair 
Soaks the pillow
As we sprawl out on
The comforter
Hunched over our
Paperbacks bent at the crease

You are like a garden
We are always returning
To each other
Filling our arms
When the other's garden is dry

I slice the tomatoes
And salt them
And life is luxurious
Again

I come empty handed
And leave remembering
How to make tomato soup

You are waiting at the door
To go and I feel like a child
Again

How can I hide your 
School books
Pillow
Laptop
Keys
Here
So you'll have to come back
Again

What can I say?
Hey, did I ever tell you–

It is Thursday and 
I am driving home with no music on
Wondering at how ugly 
The highway is on the way home

Why not just cut it in half
Make the journey quicker

Keep my garden full
For the rest of my life

– olivia gwyn

0 comments:

Post a Comment