Sunday, May 19, 2024

Do not look away

 


Do not look away

O, scallops and buttercups and 
    foxtails!
What would we do if you were 
    taken away?

O, barbershops and bookends and
    love seats! 

O, backyard trees and jasmine climbing
    up the porch and your mother's old
    rocking chair from your dad's mom!

What have we done?

I listen to the birds
    and the cars on the road and
    scratch my mosquito bites

And I wonder how we can watch
    through the windows, yawning
    on our couches as

A man loses his daughter and
    his father and his best friend
    since elementary school and
    see his wife buried in the ruins
    of his home he paid everything for

I wonder how we let this happen
    year after year
    after decade
    after war
    after war
    after war

Saying it is for the best
    saying it is worth it
    and they are not 

We know nothing of it
    we are fools
    the blind leading the blind

Leading the masses 
    who watch wide-eyed
    with searing clarity 

As their barber 
    and piano teacher
    and mom
    and barista 
    are blown to p
        ie 
                   ce  s

While we tell them to stay 
    still

Do you remember
    your 8th grade
    English teacher?

Did you watch her die?
    Try to find someone to take 
    you to your best friend's funeral?

Could you hear the birds
    see the buttercups
    taste the honeysuckle
    feel the dust of the rubble
    settle in your skin and your
    teeth and your gut?

O, pediatric doctors and socked feet and
    my own bathroom stocked with pads!

O, being able to speak to my mom, 
    having a bed and a bird feeder 
    outside my window!

Do not let my knees grow weak

Do not let me become callous
    and silent and faithless

I sigh and breathe deep
    no alarms ringing
    and I have paper to write

And I am begging you 
    to look them in the eyes
    and tell them what you mean
    what they mean

Which is to say
    I am begging you
    to look yourself in the eyes
    and do not look away

– olivia gwyn





0 comments:

Post a Comment