Wednesday, November 24, 2021

There is a plane passing overhead
Someone heading to Greece 
For the first time in their short life
The sun is shining
And there is so much to look forward to

The birds are playing hide and seek together
And some ladies down the sidewalk join them in laughter
There is a lawn mower running in the distance

The sun goes down so early
As the dog barks at nothing
And I am watching

All my inconveniences 
And the earth laughs in my face with its beauty

I know the world is an ugly place
But tonight I will stop doing the dishes
And listen to the kids down the street play basketball
And watch the dad with a colorful backpack
Walk his child home from school, listening to his day

I will smell the spice of our downstairs neighbor’s dinner
I will hear the birds forgetting it’s almost winter time
I will breathe in the last taste of autumn
I will sit on my little porch
I will watch

What a gift–
Of watching

I will try too hard to remember 
How good it feels to be alive right now
In a world like this

I will try too hard to remember
For the dark days ahead
And for all the days of light shining eternal in the distance

2 comments: